Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Benign Crazy

I don't think there are very many people in the world who would spend their Friday evenings/early Saturday mornings calculating the effects of a temporal wormhole on an RC circuit, but I am one of them.

I'll re-run my calculations and get a "project" post up about it soon, but for now I'll just say that I've always tended to think of time travel in terms of an op-amp feedback circuit, so it just felt natural to run some initial thought experiments with electrical components. Although the circuit just had two resistors and a charged capacitor, the complications introduced by the wormhole were enough that I had to review my old notes from Differential Equations to get a handle on it. I was also aided in my endeavors by Grimholt and Sam, the Homework Gremlins (two whiteboards that I inherited from the Powersuite), who were happy to have something to do.

In other news, Hopps has been moved in for about two weeks now, and things are going fine. We're both somewhat solitary, but it's nice to have another person around. Another one of my friends going to be visiting over the weekend, so we got a grill (and lighter fluid!) and hopefully we won't kill ourselves with it, any July 4 activities, or just the sheer heat outside.

Or rather, hopefully Hopps won't kill himself. I am invincible!

No comments:

Post a Comment