Saturday, June 18, 2011

Exciting Times

Today is an interesting milestone: it is the last day (at least in the near future) that I will be living by myself. Starting tomorrow, this crazy guy will be moving in with me, and provided we don't kill each other, I think it will be a very good arrangement. Still, I can't help but feel a bit nervous about the change. Not that I have anything against him moving in -- it was I who raised the question of sharing the house in the first place -- and having another person under the roof will greatly reduce the rent, utilities, and boredom. Really, aside from me no longer being able to break into renditions of "Be Prepared" from The Lion King whenever I want, there isn't much reason behind my nervousness; just the issue of change.

A similar thing happened about a year ago after I graduated and got a job. Leaving the dorm of 50-ish people and my three roommates, I moved into an apartment with Hopps. He shared the apartment with me for the summer while he was interning, then he went back to college and I was left alone. It was really difficult adjusting from the crowded dorm to the empty apartment and it took a while, but I eventually got used to it. And now, after a year of living on my own, I'm going to switch back to sharing my residence with another. The change won't be nearly as great as before, but it's still there, and while it's not unsettling in the sense of disturbing, it is a bit of a jolt.

I know that this feeling is temporary and I'm actually looking forward to having a house-mate (is that what you call it?), it's just a change, and I tend to be a creature of habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment